Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The latest and greatest

September 23, 2013

I have been working with Miss Tina and Miss Jean in Nursery and Kinder the past few days.
It is really cool to be able to see them work with the kids, and to see how the kids respond to them.
In class I taught them some songs today, there is nothing like seeing a classroom of enthusiastic kids singing "If you love Jesus." 

I am still trying new things, some I can stomach more than others. The other night I tried Dilis: it stared at me, and I'm sure was cursing me as I chewed. It was quite terrible. Actually, the taste is not too bad; it is decently good. But getting over the fact that it's staring at me is hard, and I guess I can't do it yet, but I will try again! The boys ate the rest of my delicious Dilis. Lucky them.
Before I leave, my wonderful brothers have decided I am trying Balut. A wonderful dish... that I will probably puke while eating, but I guess I might as well try it just to say I did. Wish me luck! I'm hoping to put it off for at least 3 months.
Dilis.
Balut.  (They actually vary, some are a lot less developed and more runny, and others are more developed, etc.)
Some other things I have been doing have been a lot less unsettling to the stomach.
Friday we went to see a movie in Tagalog. None of us understood it, but that is okay! We got the gist.
Sunday afternoon the boys in our family had a basketball game. They did GREAT! We lost by a few points but everyone did really well. Especially Sir Nathan, Jake, and Joe. But maybe I am just biased.













Here is one of our wonderful moments cleaning the kitchen. One Direction of course, due to Jacob's request. 



The scary moth that joined us.

Joe being "manly" and playing his little fishy game.
Also, I got to meet a Filipino clown. 
Picture grayish pink make up all over an Asian face, a white yarn wig, rather feminine mannerisms, bright red lipstick, and a huge red nose. Tyler, if you thought clowns back home were scary... I can't even imagine your reaction if you met one here. 

I hope this finds everyone well, and 'hello' from Bacolod! 

-Sarah

P.S. The bugs are attracted to my computer screen, therefore I have bug guts on it. I am risking my life simply to keep you all informed on how I am doing. I STRONGLY DISLIKE BUGS!


5 comments:

  1. Im so proud of you for overcoming your bug fears to keep us informed. Im amazed that the dilis grossed you out. The balut is nasty so hang on!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you dislike bugs! lol.
    But we appreciate you risking your life to inform us on how your doing!!
    Man...... Chip and I miss you like crazy right now.. its been three weeks and I Can't believe how depressed we are lol. To Jake, Your going down Buddy;)
    I miss you soooo much more than I can say.
    Your other bro, Trev:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the problem with the food? It looks yummy! Where is your sense of adventure?
    I pray for you regularly to be used by God to serve others, reach people with the love and good news of Jesus, and to grow to be more like Him in every way!
    I enjoyed reading your blog --- very detailed. Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for educating us from the Philippines but I have to say I find cooking little duck embryos quite disturbing. Do not try to bring this tradition back home. I don't think it will catch on.....at least I hope not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete