Monday, September 16, 2013

Hello Bacolod

September 15th, 2013


Okay, I really will get better at doing this.
I have an excuse! We lost internet for a week and my blog language was changed to Tagalog.

My beautiful mommy, grandmother and baby brother are officially gone. So yes, I have now been adopted in to a new family.

Miss Karen (Mom), Sir Nathan (Dad), Joe (littlest big brother), Jacob (little big brother).



 
Things are completely different here in Bacolod. I hadn't considered a lot of the changes, and they came as a surprise to me. For instance,  we use a bucket and dipper to take a "bath" or "shower" (YES, I MISS NICE HOT LONG SHOWERS!!)  Laundry is hand washed and hung to dry in the yard, there is no hot water unless you heat it yourself, dishes are hand washed, and it is INCREDIBLY humid here. Although believe it or not, this dry Idaho girl is actually getting used to it.
"Lizards are our friends." I am told to repeat this quite often. Here, lizards frequent the house, along with ants, the occasional rat, other random insects, Milo (Our kitty!), and two sweaty boys.  It's actually not too bad at all, and the boys aren't actually that sweaty.
The rain is plentiful and beautiful! I love it! It get's cool and begins to pour, everything gets drenched and it's the best rain to dance in.
My new crazy family is pretty awesome! Generally, we/they dance in the kitchen while we are making or cleaning up from meals (*cough* Jacob and Sir Nathan. *cough*). Basketball is frequently discussed, and I'm always trying new foods. We had sardines tonight; I have no comment.
I guess there are a lot of differences here as opposed to back home. This short blog post doesn't even cover half of them (Church, language, culture, food, etc.). But the cool part is, despite the fact that nearly everything is foreign to me, one thing is the same. There will always be common ground with a handful of people wherever I go, no matter how different it is, and that is Jesus Christ.
He remains the same and that is a huge comfort in a place that is unfamiliar to me.

Until next time,

Sarah

P.S. Sardines are really not that great.

P.P.S Jake and I named the big lizard that hides in the wall Calamity Eduardo.

P.P.S Here's a bunch of random photos from our trip so far





.
























6 comments:

  1. I am going to enjoy your blogging! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these pictures!!! I miss you already and I hope you are having a fantastic time over there. Sounds pretty fun with dancing in the kitchen, using tubs for a bath (shower), and ummm...eating sardines..ewww...lol Can't believe you'll be gone for a whole 6 months. :/ keep us posted with more!!! :) I enjoy looking at photos and seeing my sis even though she is so far away from us all. :) Miss and love you Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    Love your eagerness to try new things...a new culture, weather, language, and even new food! I'm so glad you're able to have all these experiences in your life and I know you will have a wonderful impact on the people there too!
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep on blogging. Satan will do all he can to get you super busy serving God without having quality and quantity time alone with Jesus Every day. He knows how to trick us into doing for the Lord without first being with the Lord because he knows that if we are not with the Lord we will run out of gas serving in our own strength and have very little real fruit as far as seeing a spiritual impact on the hearts we serve. I know because Satan has won too often in my serving the Lord. Serving the Lord can become our mistress and idol we put above Christ and seeking Him in private prayer and Bible time and private worship. May we defeat the enemy in this oh so sly and subtle strategy. I love you young woman of God, Grandpa Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, give sardines a chance...they're good on crackers! Miss you and proud of you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I agree with Kevin on the sardines :-) Enjoy your time over there though. Lots of new things to see and all the great experiences you will have. Blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete