Monday, December 23, 2013

God's chisel

12/19/13

God: When you look in the mirror who do you see?

Man: I see me.

God: Okay. Then I need to keep chiseling away, because ultimately you and others need to see me. Here we go.

-Skit guys (God's chisel)

As a culture, we are constantly told that we need to be ourselves.  "Be yourself! God created you the way you are!"  (Even from those who claim not to believe in a God. Go figure!)  While this is not a bad thing, I have been contemplating this and have decided to completely disagree.  Yes, God created us, and He DOES NOT create junk.  (You are beautiful!!)  When He created us, He created something beautiful.  When He created you, He lovingly knit you together in your mother's womb.  He tenderly breathed life into your body, and then He placed you here on earth.  Male or female. Genesis 1:27: So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.  You have a purpose.   He created you to LOVE Him.  All life has meaning.  Especially yours.  There are SO many people out there that are insecure; me included.  I understand.  I understand what it's like not to want to look in the mirror, or to be self conscious of the way you look, or talk, or your personality.  It's a tough road!  When I look in the mirror, I notice the flaws.  Or what I consider flaws.  My skin is marred, my eyes are too small, I'm fat or too skinny, I'm too short or I am too tall.  When I look in the mirror, I don't notice the fact that I am created AFTER God.  I AM in HIS image.  Ephesians 2:10: For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  WHOA!   Back up here!  There is more to us than physical beauty?  YES.  Yes, there is.   Beyond the physical beauty that we put so much stock in, there is an inner beauty, or lack of.   You know what?  I want God to chisel away at all of my flaws.  I want Him to CONSTANTLY be working on me so that when I do look in the mirror of my life, I don't see ME in there anymore.  I don't want to see the selfish, fleshly Sarah in it.  I should no longer see myself, I should see God. When I'm dead and gone, I don't want to be remembered as a "loving mother or wife" or a "good, kind and generous person."   I want to be remembered as someone that God was evidently working through.   So the next time I am told to be myself, or I look in the mirror; I am going to remind myself that I don't want to be myself.  I wan't to be an evident image of God.

"See, long ago he picked up his eternal paint brush, dipped in his glory, placed you in his story and said, they will live for me. And, and, I know it sounds outlandish, but we are not the product of random chances. In fact we are not even the vine; we are actually the branches, in the same way. No, we are not the artist, we are actually the canvas." -Jefferson Bethke 





(Hello to everyone back in the states!) 


2 comments: